Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wearing Bow Ties

As the name of this blog suggests, part of what is talked about here is Bow ties, though I hope this blog becomes so much more than that. But bow ties are something that men do not wear much anymore. Usually regulated to academics, conservative pundits, and Dr. Who, I sincerely hope they make a comeback.

More so than just bow ties, I hope true style comes back.  Not that I'm the most stylish person. I still struggle with matching ties and shirts to my suits. I still lounge around in sweats on the weekends and love jeans and t-shirts.

Two shows on television now show style of a bygone era. AMC's Madmen is the gold standard for the return of suits, skinny tines, and sharp dressed men and women. HBO's Boardwalk Empire shows the era of dressing to the nines. Both are somewhat idealized, but you have to concede that looking at pictures from those eras you see more men in suits and fedoras than not.

When I dress in suits people often ask me, "Why are  you dressed up?".
"Well," I answer, "Because I want to"

No one dressed up anymore. People don't know how to tie a tie. The haberdashery is a thing of the past, save for a few holdout, including where I buy most of my suits.

The aim of this blog to to discuss style in a practical manner. To talk about how busy people in a modern time can still dress nice.

Comments are welcome and I hope you enjoy the dicussion!

1 comment:

  1. Entire blog is very descriptive and attractive content for bow tie blog..
    Papillon

    ReplyDelete